Science is mandatory for all students from Year 7 to Year 10.
Science 7-10 provides a way of inquiring about the world around us. It explores evidence and investigates ways to discover, develop and produce solutions to real-world problems. Science emphasises the skills for working scientifically, as well as critical and creative thinking to address scientific issues.
In Years 11 and 12, students can choose from different science disciplines, including:
- Earth and Environmental Science
- Investigating Science
In Year 12, students who are studying at least one other science subject may also choose to study Science Extension.
Science Enrichment Activities
· Crystal growing competition
· Community Science Fair
· Science Week
· Ingham’s Institute posterboard competition
· Australian Brain Bee challenge
· Big Science competition
Science Lab Coat Policy
In accordance with Work, Health and Safety requirements, students must wear correct protective clothing in Science. Students must wear a laboratory coat and enclosed leather shoes during all practical lessons.
A second hand lab coat can be purchased from the school for $15 or a new lab coat for $22 (however the cut-off date for purchasing a new lab coat is in Term 1). Other ways of purchasing a lab coat are listed below:
· Visiting a university and going to the university bookstore
· The Co-Op Bookshop online https://www.coop.com.au/
· The Australian Lab Coat Company http://www.labcoatcompany.com.au/lab-coats.html
· Uniform Super Store https://www.uniforms.com.au/healthcare-uniforms/lab-coats
· Search for a Lab Coat on eBay, Amazon, etc.
o Select the appropriately sized lab coat (bearing in mind this lab coat will be used up to year 10, and perhaps year 11 and 12 if a Science subject is selected for the HSC)
o It does not matter if the lab coat has the logo of a university or other company
o Select a white lab coat in the appropriate size.